Here is proposal from Benita Veliz who would benefit from a DREAM-like Act.
“I would propose a policy that would do the following:
1. Allow people who were brought to the US illegally before they turned 16 to become conditional permanent residents for 5 years with the following conditions:
a. They must graduate from High School in good standing.
b. They must complete a college degree (minimum of a Bachelors degree) OR enlist in the military for a minimum of 5 years.
c. They must pay a VERY LARGE Fine (at least $5,000, probably more like $10,000, payable in installments).
d. After becoming conditional permanent residents, they would be INELIGIBLE forever to petition for anyone else to become residents -- parents, spouses, siblings, etc.
2. I would specify that this law applies ONLY to those who entered the country before the year 2000 and who have lived continuously in the country for at least 8 years.
3. Anyone who immigrated through this provision would be ineligible for ANY government benefits, including financial aid, Medicaid, Medicare, welfare, unemployment, etc., until their 5 years of conditional residency have been completed satisfactorily.
4. Any conditional resident would be immediately deported, no questions asked, if convicted of committing a felony of any sort. (Obviously, those who have already been convicted of a felony would be ineligible for this program.)
5. During the 5 year conditional residency, these illegal aliens must be audited on their taxes every year, proving that all taxes have been paid faithfully.
To avoid creating an incentive for illegal aliens to bring in more children in the future, I would make sure to let people know this is only for people brought in before 2000. This does not shelter future immigrants in any way, shape or form.
The fact is Ultima...I love AMERICA. I will do ANYTHING to be allowed to stay here. All I'm asking for is a chance.”